The Benefits of Herbs
Herbs are not only used to flavor foods or to make potpourri, but can help attract beneficial insects to your gardens to help protect against insects & disease as well as increasing better flavor in other plants and can also be used for its medicinal benefits for our health.
Did You Know?
Basil enhances the flavor of tomatoes when planted beside them.
Rub fresh basil leaves on your skin if you have been stung by a bee.
Chives deter rabbits, Japanese beetles and prevents black spots on roses.
Put a sprig of parsley in your fish pond to keep fish healthy.
Chamomile improves the growth and flavour of onions, cucumbers and hosts many beneficial insects.
- enhances the growth of coriander
- host for beneficial wasps
- attracts butterflies
- repels aphids and fleas
- repels garden bugs, especially slugs
- aids digestion, has a mild sedative action – tea for nervous headaches and anxiety
- rub fresh basil leaves on skin vigorously for a couple of minutes for bee stings
- plant next to tomatoes to make them taste better
- improves flavour of many plants (strawberries & tomatoes)
- strengthens plants against insects
- attracts a wide range of parasitic wasps that attack caterpillars, leaf hoppers and aphids
- deters flea beetles, Colorado potato beetles, plant hoppers, ants, cabbage moths and squash bugs
- improves the growth and flavour of onions, cucumbers and hosts many beneficial insects
- do not plant near peas and beans
- deters rabbits, Japanese beetles and prevents black spots on roses
- helps deter aphids, carrot flies and Colorado potato beetle
- use as a mulch to keep slugs and snails away
- attracts hover flies – a beneficial insect – its larvae’s favourite food is aphids
- do not plant near bush beans or tomatoes
- few insects bother this plant, use as a border
- deters borers, coddling moths, Japanese beetles, root maggots, blights & rusts, helps control aphids & black spot
MARIGOLDS & TOMATOES
- deters slugs from each other
- repels ants, flea beetles, cabbage beetles & fleas
- rats dislike
- plant with melons & radishes to deter cucumber beetles
- put a sprig of parsley in your fish pond to keep fish healthy
- controls cabbage maggots & carrot flies
- helps control cabbage maggots