Reasons for Keeping a Lawn
More and more people are getting frustrated with maintaining their lawns and are considering changing over to flowerbeds or hardscapes. While flowerbeds still have many benefits, hardscapes installed over a large percentage of your property can have some drawbacks.
- Keeping your lawn can help you control the climate. Lawns are cooler than the hard surfaces of paving, concrete or gravel.
- Grass blades can trap dust particles and smoke and with rain, they are washed away into the soil and kept out of the air.
- Provides soil erosion control.
- Prevents storm water run-off when you have a healthy lawn.
- Traps air pollution and generates oxygen.
- Filters water before it reaches waterways or drainage systems.
- Lawns help to reduce injuries by cushioning the impact from falls.
- Grass clippings add organic matter to the soil.
- Lawns are tough and can withstand foot traffic.
Steps to Take to Maintain a Healthy Lawn
Improve soil for best results. A healthy lawn starts with a good soil base.